Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Fabric Frame and Tutorial

While perusing blog-land on Sunday, I came cross this 4th of July wreath, Hannah from Young & Crafty made.


For a while now I've wanted to make a wreath to put on my front door, and when I saw Hannah's, I wanted to jump up and make one similar. 

Thinking about what I would use for my wreath, I remembered that I had a huge old mat from a thrift store picture frame. Unfortunately, the mat was too big to fit on the door (or at least look good all by itself). 

I kept thinking a little more about it and by Monday, I knew exactly what I wanted to do! Hans and I went to a fabric store, which happened to be having a 50% off sale. Score! 

Oh, you want to see what I got.
The pile on the left was all from the second hand store, I couldn't resist.

It's hard to see, but I also got 2 meters of quilt batting.

As soon as I got home, I was eager to get to work. I began by laying the batting down on the table and topping it with my ugly old mat. 
Sorry about some of these pictures, I was having a really hard time with shadows, and I didn't want to keep moving everything back and forth to a different location.

After that, draw lines to find the center.

Now, cut along your lines, and fold over.

See that corner, here's a closer look
If you have a better way of doing it, then go for it, this is just what I did.

After you've done all your cutting, get your hot glue gun out (unless you've got more patience than I do, in which case, I recommend something that takes a whole lot longer to dry), and start gluing your batting down.

After gluing down the inside and the outside of all four sides, trim the excess batting.

The front will look like this.


Repeat this process (unless you were smarter than me and doubled up your fabric and batting) with the fabric you wish to cover the outside.

Here's where I got a bit busy and forgot to take pictures for all the steps.

After covering my 'frame', I set it off to the side and began cutting my fabric into strips. I have no idea how wide they were, anywhere from 1 to 3 inches, and as long as the fabric. Everything I cut was far from straight, but that doesn't matter much. I also recruited help from my darling husband, Hans.

I know he was bored out of his mind, but he was such a good sport.

After the strips are all cut, you're going to make rosettes. Being my first time, I consulted my dear friend, Google. This is the tutorial I used.

A few hours and a million burns later, I made these (and another 6).


I cleaned up my big mess and arranged the final product on the table. 
I decided to be clever. Instead of gluing my flowers to the frame, I glued velcro to the frame and my flowers. Now I can change them out when I get bored with them.

Want to see the final product?



Well, here it is.



I finally have something to go on than angled wall!









Well, what do you think?


8 comments:

  1. I love the rosettes...so fun!!! You could probably use them on all sorts of things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!! I LOVE this! I'm completely obsessed with rosettes too! I just might have to copy you! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, I'm considering that. It's funny, I'm not really much of a fan of floral decor, but I can handle those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie, if you do, I want pictures! It was so easy I might make more. (I have no idea where I'd put them, though.) I think the only downside for me was the fact that I don't have a standard hot glue gun, only a mini.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I came here via Lovely Light and her Liebster award. Love the rosettes and the velcro idea on the frame. Well done xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty!! Would LOVE it if you would share this project at my turquoise lovin' party going on right now!! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/2011/11/turquoise-lovin-13.html

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some comment love, I want to hear from each one of you! Your comments put a smile on my face and brighten my day!

Remember, my grandma reads this, so watch your language!
*Inapropriate comments will not be approved for posting.*