If you're on Pinterest then chances are, you have seen all of the Lofthouse copycat recipes. Most of them are exactly the same, a few call for salt while others dot not. I looked at the recipe for Soft Sugar Cookies over at The Novice Chef and decided I could make the same cookies for my Husband's birthday.
Since my husband is a chocolate whore (pardon my language), I decided to see if I could find a recipe for chocolate Lofthouse-style sugar cookies. I was very surprised to see that there weren't any. So, I decided to wing it.
Homemade Chocolate Lofthouse-Style Sugar Cookies with Frosting
Yield: about 4 dozen cookies
For the cookies:
6 cups (596 grams) all purpose flour, divided
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cups (84 grams) cocoa powder, unsweetened
1 cup (229 grams) butter, at room temperature
2 cups (383 grams) granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups (181 grams) light sour cream
For the frosting:
1 cup (229 grams) butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-2 cups (130-260 grams) powdered sugar
3 tablespoons cocoa powder, unsweetened
6 tablespoons heavy cream
Sprinkles (Optional, but fun!)
Directions:
In a medium bowl, whisk 5 cups of flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder; set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer with the flat beater attached, cream the butter and granulated sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula, as needed.
**If you aren't fortunate enough to own a stand mixer, like myself, Using the regular beaters on a hand mixer, cream together ingredients.
Add the eggs, one at a time beating until each is incorporated.
Add the vanilla and sour cream and beat at low speed until combined.
Add the dry ingredients and beat at low speed until just combined, scraping down the bowl as needed.
**If this proves difficult with a hand mixer, switch to dough hooks.
Dough should be the right consistency for rolling, so add additional flour, about 1/4 cup at a time, until this is achieved (up to 1 cup more flour).
Divide dough into two sections. Flatten into rectangles about 1 1/2 inches thick and wrap with plastic wrap.
Chill in the refrigerator for 6-8 hours or overnight, do not skip this step.
After the dough has chilled, remove from the refrigerator and preheat the oven to 425F/218C.
Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or spray them with nonstick cooking spray, set aside.
Generously dust a work area and rolling pin with a mixture of flour and cocoa powder.
With a rolling pin, roll the dough out to 1/4-inch thickness.
Using a 2 1/2-inch round cookie cutter, cut out circles and transfer to a baking sheet.
Bake for 7-8 minutes.
Immediately transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.
For the frosting:
To make the frosting, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and vanilla.
**Again, use a hand mixer with regular beaters if you lack a stand mixer.
Slowly beat in cocoa powder, followed by powdered sugar.
Once smooth and creamy, add in heavy cream, 1 tablespoon at a time until the desired spreading consistency is achieved.
Once cookies have cooled completely, frost and add sprinkles.
Let frosting set and store in an air-tight container, allowing cookies sit overnight before serving to allow the flavors to develop.











This looks really good, will try this soon! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Sheryl! I have already eaten way too many. If you're at school tonight I'll save one for you!
DeleteImpressive! I like that you took matters into your own hands! I'm not very good at the whole cookie thing, but I love me a a soft Lofthouse cookie and might just try this!
ReplyDeleteIt is an easy, but time consuming recipe. Just like your average sugar cookie recipe, you need to refrigerate the dough, but it really was worth the work. I'm just glad they are REALLY filling or I would still be eating some!
DeleteHi,
ReplyDeleteI followed you over from Wow Me Wednesday and these look sinful and divine!
I would love to invite you to share this, and any other posts you would like to, at my Creative Thursday Link Party at www.michellestastycreations.blogspot.com. (Link up until Monday 4-23-12)
Have a great day,
Michelle
oh looks so pretty and yummy come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteOh yummy! I love chocolate sugar cookies and have pinned these so I can try them out :)
ReplyDeleteThe Farm Girl
thefarmgirlrecipes.blogspot.com